A COMPLETE PORTFOLIO CONTAINS, IN THIS ORDER:
- Title page with your name, grade, school name, email address, and phone number
- Identify department you are applying to (Spoken Arts)
- Personal Statement: an essay (same as essay in application packet). In your unique voice, tell us why you want to be in Spoken Arts and give us insight into you as a writer: why you write, if you've taken creative writing or spoken arts classes before (not required), and the poets, authors, and books that you love.
- Write seven (7) poems or other creative written works
- Write or record a video of (1) "speak your truth" narrative, a creative essay that talks about a social issue that you are passionate about by telling a true story from your life. What issue in your life, community, school, the nation or the world do you care about and how does it relate to your life experiences? (For example, are you passionate about immigrant rights, the environment, Black Lives Matter, anti-racism, indigenous rights, women's rights, LGBT rights, workers' rights, health, and/or something else? Where did this passion come from? What is an experience from your life that influenced this passion?).
The audition consists of a writing assignment, presentation of one of your pieces (can be read), and discussion of your portfolio, prior experience, goals and program expectations.