TO LEARN MORE ABOUT PREPARING YOUR PORTFOLIO AND ABOUT THE CREATIVE WRITING DEPARTMENT, VISIT OUR BLOG HERE.
A COMPLETE PORTFOLIO CONTAINS, IN THIS ORDER:
- Title page with your name; your grade and school name; your email address and phone number.
- Identify which program you are applying for (Literary Arts or Spoken Arts), and indicate if you are open to being considered for the other program if not accepted into your first choice.
- One Personal Statement: an essay (1-2 pages) in which you describe why you want to be in Creative Writing, specifically the program you are applying for (Literary or Spoken Arts). This is an opportunity for you to tell us what makes your voice unique, and to give us insight into you as a writer: the poets, authors, and books that you love, why you write, when or how you write, if you’ve taken creative writing classes before (not a requirement!), if you’ve been to any of our CW shows or readings, etc. If you are applying for Spoken Arts, this is also an opportunity to let us know if you have any experience in poetry slams or other spoken-word performances or programs.
One academic essay (something you turned in for an English class)
- Five to ten poems
- Two complete short stories
- One personal narrative (a creative/non-academic essay that tells a specific, true story from your life)
- One of the following:
A 5-10 page one-act play or script for TV or film OR An additional short story or personal narrative