All grade level students auditioning for Musical Theatre will be asked to present:
- Two 32-bar excerpts (One Ballad and One Uptempo) from Classical AND Contemporary Musical Theatre Repertoire. Classical Musical Theatre Repertoire includes musicals written before 1965. Contemporary Musical Theatre Repertoire include musicals written after 1965. (Note: If your Uptempo is from a Contemporary Musical, your Ballad must be from a Classical Musical, or vice-versa. Please bring a copy of your music for the pianist (recorded music, self-accompaniment, or "a capella" presentations are NOT permitted).
- A two-minute Comedic or Dramatic monologue from a published play, not a musical.
- A short cold reading from a monologue selected by the audition committee (no home preparation is required). This portion of the audition should demonstrate a student's ability to sight-read a dramatic selection.
- A choreographed combination dance routine, which will be taught on the day of the audition (Please bring your jazz shoes and wear unrestrictive clothing).
- There will be a short interview with the Audition Committee.
- Students will write 1-2 pages, reflecting on their audition experience.