This list helps explain what students will learn in their four years in the Asawa SOTA Theatre Department. We strive:
- Not to "play act"
- Not to "play for results"
- Not to "indicate"
- To focus and "listen"
- To be grounded
- To use our entire being to present a complete character
- To use appropriate movement & gesture for the character, not to be frightened of the authentic gesture
- To avoid "happy feet"
- To avoid "wandering & unspecific movement and gesture"
- To move on the "emotion" of the line (variation)
- To gesture appropriately and fully
- Not to gesture from the elbows
- Not to "windmill"
- Not to be a "hem grabber"
- To find the Arc
- To have a reason & a point
- To have an objective
- To have emotional variation (expressed in vocal, emotional, and movement variation)
- Not to make everything equal
- To have a vivid and seeable second character
- To have a seeable "where"
- To love the art in them, not them in the art
- To work outside of your comfort zone
- To know precisely the value of the spoken word, the power of the operative word and the architect of a written speech
COURSE SYLLABUS BY YEAR