WORLD MUSIC AUDITION
Prior musical background or proficiency in a musical instrument are not required to audition. We seek curious students with a strong desire to learn about the music of world cultures. Be prepared to spend three full hours at the audition. This is a test
LEARN IN ADVANCE
- two (2) short rhythm selections as shown in the videos
Clap a 3/2 clave while keeping the downbeat with your feet.
3/2 CLAVE-STRAIGHT & SWUNG
Using alternating 16th notes between your right and left hand, play an accented 3/2 clave for 4 bars and switch into 3/2 swung clave at metronome setting 110. Watch this video for demonstration.
Each number represents the number of times you hit the drum alternating with your right and left stick.
After the odd numbers: - jump and click your drumsticks above your head and say "hup". Return to same drum
After the even numbers: take a step to the drum on your right, while moving your drumsticks to mimic windshield wipers moving from right to left and say "so-re".
The backs of a set of chairs makes a good practice set.
Think outside the box and showcase your creativity in this short composition project, from 30 seconds - 1 minute in length. Using the skills shown in the taiko back beat videos and drawing upon your own musical experience, the piece must include the following:
• voice (call out, not melodic singing) • choreography (arms and or body movement) • form (a beginning, middle and end)
You will be asked to perform your composition in your individual audition. You may use instruments in the dojo (taiko drums, congas, percussion) or bring your own, including most household objects.
- an overview of the World Music program
- lasts approximately one (1) hour
GROUP TAIKO DRUMMING CLASS
- applicants will be provided drum sticks and drums
- dress in comfortable clothing
- bring water
- each student will have approximately 5-7 minutes
- present an original short composition
- may use instruments in the dojo or bring your own instrument(s)